Sunday, March 18, 2012

Through the dust


One of my favorite young adult books is Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse.  If you've not read it, I would highly recommend it, especially if you've ever lived in Oklahoma.  It's written from a young girl's point of view and it's about her family's survival of the Dust Bowl in 1934-1935.  My drive today reminded me of that book.  While I'm certain the blowing dust I experienced today is only a fraction of what the Dust Bowl was really like, I imagine it was somewhat reminiscent of that time.  The air was hazy and brown, the strong gusts blew cars and trucks around on the highway.  My one stop in the midst of the dust left the taste of dirt in my mouth and had me blowing my nose.  My drive time was most certainly lengthened by the high wind and dust.  The workers at the visitor center said the high wind was due to the snow storm happening in Arizona.



These two pictures are exactly how my drive from I-40 to Santa Fe went.  I was the only person on the road for the longest time.  If I didn't trust my maps, GPS and instinct I would have thought I was going the wrong way!  It was a very quiet drive.

Before leaving Amarillo today I indulged in a stop at Barnes and Noble and as I confessed to my dad,  have a sickness.  I'm obsessed with books.  I bought a few more today that I am excited to read.  There are so many books and so little time!  I'm sure doing my best to read as much as possible!

I stopped briefly at the New Mexico visitors center as I crossed the border and picked up maps and visitors guides.  I'll peruse those tonight and see what priorities I want to make for tomorrow.  I'm already intrigued by the interesting architecture, narrow streets and quaint feel of the city.  I'm in the downtown area within walking distance of several places.  I absolutely love the arts, performance, visual, music, you name it!  I'm looking forward to going to the Georgia O'Keeffe museum tomorrow.  I have no doubt there will be more to do here than I can do in the time I've allotted, so I'm sure there will be a return trip.  But for today, it's another state for me to add to my list of those visited!

No comments:

Post a Comment