Sunday, March 25, 2012

I've become my own pet peeve

I told my brother tonight that I thought to really appreciate time for personal reflection you had to be in a place where you wanted to take a hard look at yourself.  If you're not interested in soul searching or reflecting on your life, then spending time doing so is fruitless.  I, however, have recently come to the realization that I am my own pet peeve and that's part of what has motivated me to take a hard look at myself and my life.

I've said for a long time that one of my pet peeves is when someone complains about something that is totally within their power to change.  Complaining about things outside of your control I completely understand...everyone needs to vent.  But complaining about something that you have the power to change is a pet peeve of mine.  I've become that pet peeve.  I have complained a lot, and in some cases loudly, about things that are within my power to change.

I don't remember ever being Polly Positive.  I've never had a chipper or cheerful disposition.  I've been happy and content, but not necessarily the high-spirited, happy-go-lucky type.  In the last few years I've become cynical, pessimistic and at times surly.  I tend to think of all of the bad things first rather than looking on the bright side.

I decided two things during my drive time last week...1) I need to work on being more positive, rather than being so negative.  2)  I need to stop being my own pet peeve.

I can't promise that I'll stop complaining, but I can guarantee a lot is getting ready to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment