Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Adventure

My siblings and close friends will tell you that adventure is NOT my middle name.  This trip is reforming me however and I'm getting better at going with the flow.  I left Santa Fe this morning expecting to drive to Denver to stay with Christy and spend a couple of days with her and family.  I started driving in snow about forty-five minutes outside of Santa Fe and it got progressively thicker and heavier the farther north I went.  I don't consider myself to have a lot of talents, but after my adventure today I believe that I am a talented driver.  Those that worry about me should skip over this next part....the snow was blowing quite a bit preventing me from seeing oncoming traffic (on the other side of the median), I could see two cars in front of me but no farther, the snow covered the lane lines and the asphalt was covered with white.  I was going slow and I never slid or anything like that, but it definitely wasn't the most prime driving conditions.  When I got to Raton Pass it was closed and the department of transportation turned everyone around.  I came back a couple of exits and after a short internal debate decided to get a hotel room here.  I debated whether or not the pass would open, how long I should wait and see, etc.  After a brief conversation with other stuck passengers, I decided getting a room was the best plan.  As I secured the last room at this particular establishment, everyone else seemed to be doing the same thing.  It's still snowing so I'll not be venturing out this evening, which since I haven't had lunch means the vending machines will be my friend tonight.  There is an indoor pool and I stuck my swimsuit in, so maybe I'll take a dip!  I'm happy, I'm content, I'm safe and since I've been picking up books all over the southwest in the last few days, I have plenty to do.  Just another day on my journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment