Sunday, March 18, 2012

Peaceful mornings

What is it about the quiet of the morning that brings so much peace?  The quiet of the evening doesn't hold the same serenity for me as the morning does.  I love to begin the day by sitting quietly, letting that tranquility and stillness surround me and infuse me.  I'm starting today with a rested, peaceful feeling.  I've not felt rested in weeks, so it's nice to wake up with a clear mind without rushing to greet the day.  Rushing in the morning makes me feel as though I should rush through the rest of the day...and those that know me well know that I do not like to be rushed!  Being rushed causes stress and anxiety for me.  I need to find a way to continue these peaceful mornings when I get home.

One of my favorite television shows is Criminal Minds.  I love the writing, word choice and delivery from the actors.  The famous quotes at the beginning and end of the show are tidbits of wisdom that are comforting, intriguing and often make me smile.  In the tenth episode of season two the profilers are interviewing a suspected terrorist and Mandy Patinkin's character says "We gain comfort from our prayers."  Too often I forget that.  My dad is the best prayer writer that I know.  I am always blessed when I'm lucky enough to be in town on a Sunday that he leads a prayer at church.  His eloquent words, thoughtful phrases and heartfelt content bring tears to my eyes, even now as I reflect on those prayers.  I can't write like he does or share my thoughts in the articulate and expressive way that he does, so I googled to find a prayer that would fit my current circumstance.  I shudder to think of what I would do without google!  What I found is an accurate description of where I am and words to help me express where I want to be.  It's a blessing for me...perhaps it will bless you too.

Heavenly Father, please grant me peace of mind and calm my troubled heart.  My soul is like a turbulent sea. I can't seem to find my balance so I stumble and worry constantly.  Give me the strength and clarity of mind to find my purpose and walk the path you've laid out for me.  I trust Your love God, and know that you will heal this stress.  Just as the sun rises each day against the dark of night.  Please bring me clarity with the light of God.  In Your name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment