Saturday, March 24, 2012

I like Ike!


I went to Abilene, Kansas for the express purpose of going to the Eisenhower Presidential Library.  It's the third presidential library I've been to of the twelve currently in existence.  I was not disappointed by my stop here.  It's a beautiful complex, with lots of things to see and do.  Like all presidential libraries there is a lot to read as you move through the museum.  I didn't read everything.  I imagine you could spend the entire day there trying to read every display.  I did read quite a bit and I certainly learned a lot about the 34th President of the United States.  If you haven't been here, I would recommend it, especially if you're a history buff.  Due to his being a five star General there is a good bit of war and military memorabilia.  I started my trip reading the book Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay which is a historical fiction novel based on the round up of Jews from Paris during the Holocaust.  I ended my trip today learning more about the US participation in ending World War II.  That's a period of history that has always interested me, and I found it ironic today that I started and finished my spring break journey in that vein.


There are several buildings that are part of Eisenhower Center.  The white house in the foreground of this picture is the boyhood home of Eisenhower.  He lived in this house with his parents and five brothers from the time he was eight until he left for West Point at the age of 20.  This is the original house in its original location.  The artifacts are incredibly well preserved.  The taupe colored building behind the house is the museum which houses a walk through time line of Eisenhower's life and presidency.  The large park in the center and to the right of the picture is the park around which all of the buildings are centered.


This building, partially hidden by the trees, is the library.  There are only a few exhibits in this building, one of which tells visitors about the establishment of the Eisenhower library.


This statue of Eisenhower is in the middle of the park, between buildings.  The stars on the concrete at the base of the statue are to represent his five stars earned as a General.  The presidential seal is also on the concrete near the statue.


Dwight Eisenhower, his wife Mamie and their son Doud who died as a child are all buried on the grounds of Eisenhower Center.  This chapel was erected around the graves and is labeled as the Place of Meditation.

I've always enjoyed vacations where I can learn something new or visit historical sites.  Today fed that part of me very well.  I enjoyed my time there and learned so much about the Eisenhower administration.  It's left me hungry for more information.  I think my next trip to the public library will have me looking for books written by or about Dwight D. Eisenhower.  Before leaving, I stopped at the gift shop and bought a presidential libraries passport.  I realize some of you will think that's hokie but somewhere throughout the week I decided to acknowledge these things I'd like to achieve as goals rather than just "something I'd like to achieve" and this is one way for me to track my progress toward this goal.  Three down...nine to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment