Saturday, July 28, 2012

Very full week on the horizon

I've told you before that I love my job.  That fact has not changed.  I have no doubt that I have the best job for me.  I've also told you before that there are two categories into which you could divide my current job responsibilities.  I have some tasks that are "meet and greet" and others that are "read and study."  I've done as much of the "meet and greet" as possible without showing up at schools unannounced.  Summer is a busy time for school districts.  The hours are not always consistent from day to day and the administrators I need to visit with are often working on tasks that can only happen during the summer, such as replacing carpet, new construction or renovations.  Finding and meeting with all twenty-two of the superintendents in my area has been a difficult task that I haven't totally completed.

The second part of my job is more fluid.  There isn't an end to "read and study."  There are always more resources to read and references to consult.  I swelled with pride this week when in one of the texts I was studying, a former professor was mentioned as a reference.  I was so incredibly well-trained by Oklahoma State.  I'm proud to be an alum of such a research based program.  Next week I will be in full "read and study" mode.  I leave tomorrow to go to Oklahoma City for the week to participate in orientation and training.  All of my meetings will be held here...


Yes, that's right, next week I'm working at the capitol.  All of my meals will be served there and all of my meetings will be held there.  I'm slated to spend time on the House Floor and the Governor's Blue Room.  My speakers will not only be outside trainers for commercial companies, but also the Assistant State Superintendents, Deputy State Superintendent, OSDE Chief of Staff and the State Superintendent.  I will be trained by and listening to some of the most influential people in the state regarding education.  I am honored to be among their company.  I am one of a team of sixty.  I know that my team as well as those who work in our state administration are excited for the possibilities and impact of our new program.  While the actual day to day responsibilities are still taking shape and I'm still getting acquainted with my region, I am excited about what this year will bring.

I have to be in OKC tomorrow evening between five and eight.  I'll be able to get a good night's rest before my week of intense study begins.  With start times ranging from 7:00 to 8:00 a.m. and an end time around 4:30 p.m. those five days are going to be packed with information.  At times it feels as though my brain is on information overload.  I haven't totally found ways to assimilate new learning into my brain, so I'm a little off balance right now.  That's not a terrible thing, really.  Being off balance means I'm learning, so that's good!  The off balance part is a little frustrating though.  I'm ready to find my equilibrium again, but that's not going to happen for a while.

The task ahead of me is a huge one, but I'm ready to take it on.  The road ahead of me isn't smooth, but I'll approach it prayerfully.  I learn new and more names every day.  I'm usually good with names but my memory is being seriously tested right now!  Between church members, office staff, school personnel, my team of sixty, the administrators at the state, my neighbors and everyone else, I may have to start studying names along with standards!  I'll find my feet and learn all that I need to learn, it's just going to take time.  I'm looking forward to spending time with my amazing new team.  I'm excited for the week ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment