Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Adventures around every corner


This sign is very similar to the ones on the street that leads you into my neighborhood.  I do live in a neighborhood, granted I'm on the edge of my neighborhood, but I am in town, in a housing edition.  When I first saw these signs I wasn't sure what they meant.  It seemed funny to me that there were these signs with pictures of turkeys around my area.  I pass at least one every day and depending on my route may see two or three of these.  Today I discovered the reason for these signs.

I was headed to work a little after 7:00 this morning when I noticed that there were some animals grazing on the side of the road.  I was staring out my drivers' side window trying to figure out what kind of animal it was.  It kind of looked like a goose a first, but was too dark in color and too large to be a goose.  It took me being almost on top of it to realize it was a turkey!  About the time it registered as to what it was I look up and have to slam on my brakes to avoid hitting the three turkeys that were crossing the road in front of me.  I laughed and called my dad to tell him that I'd figured out what the signs meant!

I'd never seen a wild turkey before and that certainly didn't look like a Butterball!  Its feathers weren't spread out so I didn't recognize the classic turkey coloring page seen around Thanksgiving.  I don't remember seeing a waddle but that very well could be because I was shocked to even see a turkey that remembering details wasn't my goal.  It was a very surprising and funny experience.  Who needs coffee?  Slamming on your brakes for turkeys has the same awakening effect!

Shortly after this fabulous feathered find, my partner Carri and I hit the road again.  We had four more districts on our list today and with it came lunch in another local restaurant.  This place was hopping!  It was definitely a local favorite.  Today's lunch was at "Greazy Steve's" in Pond Creek, OK.  I had to weigh-in tonight so I had to make good choices throughout the day.  I selected the grilled chicken sandwich, and then ended up not eating the bun.  The meat however was fantastic!!  The flavors of marinade and grill hit the spot!  Much like yesterday our working lunch made for several interested onlookers.  Kind of makes you a little nervous being watched like that.  We ended up making an early exit and hanging out in my car to kill some time.

I finished my adventurous day with news that I'd lost 4.6 pounds.  Every day is a new day and a new adventure.  Today's adventures just happened to include some new feathered friends.



No comments:

Post a Comment