Sunday, April 1, 2012

Goin' to Guatemala!!

La Antigua to be exact, the perfect position came open, the invitation was extended, conversations took place and the decision was relatively easy to make!  In just under a month, my brother will be jetting off once again.  You didn't think I was talking about myself did you?  I may have gained some perspective and tolerance for adventure, but that's what you call biting off more than you can chew!  No, no...I'm not going to Guatemala, my brother however has taken a position teaching English and will be moving there for at least six months.

When he called me a couple of weeks ago to tell me that he was talking to a school there, I told him how proud I was of him for pursuing it.  I also told him that I've been inspired by him and my sister for the courage and confidence that they have demonstrated by daring to venture into exotic or challenging locations to pursue their dreams.  In the last two years Ryan has lived in two Spanish speaking countries to pursue his love of travel and teaching.  Last year my sister, Kayla moved to New York City to pursue her career in the fashion world.  They are both in professions that are tailor made for them.  I have many memories from our childhood that looking back now were windows into their future.


This picture was taken just before Christmas last year.  Ryan and Kayla are in the middle, my youngest brother Justin is in the front.  I am so incredibly proud of all of them.  I enjoy watching them grow and evolve into amazing adults.  I wish I had their confidence.  I wish I had their courage.  I wish I had the self-assurance that allows them to follow their heart and dreams.  I'm very comfortable staying in a box rather than stepping outside of it.  Although I've decided recently that my box is either falling apart or damaged because it's impossible for me to stay in it any longer.

Stepping outside of my box has become my personal mission.  Getting comfortable with being uncomfortable, welcoming the fear that means something exciting might happen, and learning to recognize the difference between an adrenaline rush and sheer panic.  There is are too many opportunities in the world and around the country for me to live scared.  Stepping out is definitely scary, but I've also decided that in my circumstance not stepping out is cowardly.

1 comment:

  1. WOW!! SO excited for Ryan and frankly, just darn proud of you girl!! Yes, it is scary stepping out of that comfort zone, but yet it's so exciting to think of the opportunities that come with that!! I agree with you, life is too short not to take advangtage of what this amazing world holds!! I'm proud of you and will be praying that this newfound strength and courage remains strong!!

    ReplyDelete