Sunday, November 18, 2012

Brunch and Broadway

What a fantastic day!  Kayla and I started today by sleeping late.  We didn't get up until 10:00.  Since we went to bed a little after 2:00 we were due for some extra z's.  Shortly after getting up I learned my first New York lesson of the day, apparently brunch is served here from 10:00-4:00.  We went to a great restaurant in the West Village called The Half Pint.  Here's a pic from their website.  The table on the left in the corner is the one where we sat.  It's actually known for being a beer bar but we went for their brunch menu.  Kayla enjoyed the eggs benedict and I had a mozzarella, tomato and basil omelet.  The groupon deal that we had included mimosas.  It was a fun way to start the day.


From there we walked over to SoHo and did a little shopping.  I love going to the Scholastic Store there.  Since I'm not in the classroom anymore, I don't buy many books, but I love walking through the store.  They have a huge Magic School Bus that you can walk through.  They have a fun Clifford display and a fabulous Harry Potter display that includes a lego set to build Hogwarts.  We left just before The Grinch was supposed to make an appearance, but before leaving Kayla and I made a deal.  She's going to read the Harry Potter series (which is a first for her) and I'm going to read The Hunger Games (which will be a first for me).  We left there and went to Old Navy where Kayla found some great deals and then worked our way back to the Subway to head back to her apartment.

Tonight we had reservations for dinner at Stecchino which is an Italian place in the Hell's Kitchen area of Manhattan.  We met up with Kayla's friend Dana for the evening.  We went from there to the Snapple Theater Center where we saw a quirky play called "Perfect Crime."  We sat on the fourth row and enjoyed the play.  Most of the theater productions I've been to were musicals so this was a fun change.


The play was in the theater district which isn't far from Times Square so when the play was over we walked through Times Square and took a couple of pictures.  One drag queen approached us and asked me to take a picture of him.  It takes all kinds to make the world go round, especially in Times Square!  We worked our way to Harold's Square and Korea Town before we made it to our last stop of the evening, Ayza.  Ayza is a Wine and Chocolate bar and it was delicious!  We sat outside to enjoy warm spiced wine and a chocolate pizza topped with strawberries and bananas.


It was a perfect way to end the evening!  I'm so glad I got to spend the day with my sister.  Now for some sleep so we can get back at it tomorrow!




No comments:

Post a Comment