Friday, August 31, 2012

It's football season!!

Tomorrow is the first Saturday of this season of college football and I'm excited.  I have many memories at which football is the center.  I grew up attending Arkansas Razorbacks games with my grandfather.  In fact I've been to more U of A sporting events than any other school, including the ones I've attended.  I remember going to OU's media day as a kid and being excited that I had my picture taken with then quarterback Cale Gundy.  I went to high school in Alabama, which is in many ways the football capital of the south.  (No offense intended to my friends in other southern states.)  I spent every Friday night of football season in my high school band at the game.

My varied experience with and love of football makes me a fan of the game, before I'm a fan of a specific team.  My philosophy is the same about professional sports, I'm a fan of the game or specific players before a specific team.  My television will be tuned in to whatever game I can get every Saturday between now and the end of the season.

I will always pull for my alma mater first.  I love to watch OSU football games and yes, I will pull for them over OU during Bedlam.  Outside of that however, my allegiance is mixed.  These are kids.  I think that really hit after I spent time as an adjunct instructor for OSU.  These are kids playing a game that in a lot of ways our society has turned into a business.  I understand the financial aspect of the college football industry, but I don't let that influence my allegiance as a fan.

My facebook posts will likely include RTR (Roll Tide Roll), War Eagle, WPS (Whoo Pig Sooie), Boomer Sooner and Go Pokes throughout various times of the season.  Hey...you might even see a Gig 'Em once or twice.  That's because I love the game.  I don't trash other teams or conferences.  I don't root for teams to lose or players to be injured.  That's just wrong, on so many levels.

I'll make chili, pop popcorn and indulge in other tailgate food throughout the season, hopefully with friends and family, in the spirit of enjoying the game.  I'm ready for football!!

No comments:

Post a Comment