Monday, August 20, 2012

A Medical Update

I told you a few weeks ago that I was having vision issues and that I was going to have tests and such, but I never came back and explained any more.  I've had a few questions recently so I thought I should tell you what's going on.  The vision issues in my right eye, coupled with a variety of additional symptoms suggested that have MS.  My doctor decided to pursue that avenue first and a few weeks ago I went in for an MRI of my brain.  This was about two weeks after I had moved to Enid.

I went back to Stillwater for the MRI and it came back having no abnormalities.  To get a second opinion I had my results and scans sent to my friend Liz who is a neurologist in Wyoming.  She said my brain is good and there is no indication of MS, which I'm told can be seen clearly on an MRI if is it present.  So that was good, but it still leaves me with vision problems.  Because everything on the front part of my eye is healthy and normal, my doctor believes that the problem is with my optic nerve, which is why MS was a consideration.  Optic neuritis is often found in MS patients.  While that is ruled out, the problem with my nerve still has not been identified.  I am scheduled to see a neuro-opthamologist in Oklahoma City in the month of October.  In the mean time I have periodic follow-up appointments with my optometrist to monitor any changes in my eye sight.

I still am working on losing weight just because it's an important thing to do.  I fell off the wagon (so to speak) a week or so ago, so I'm working to climb back on, but overall at this point I've lost 12 pounds.  Still have more to go of course, but hopefully I can get back on track soon.

For those that have asked, I appreciate your thoughtfulness and prayers.

1 comment:

  1. So glad that you have ruled out MS. I pray that you are able to find out what it is and that it is something simple and easy to take care of.

    Have a wonderful week!

    Darci

    ReplyDelete