Monday, June 17, 2013

You like yourself, that's good!

I travel alone quite a bit. Typically I meet people at my destination that I know, either colleagues at a conference or friends or family on vacation. This trip is a little different. My sister is coming over on Wednesday evening to go to a baseball game with me, but other than that I am vacationing on my own this week. The reactions I've gotten from people when they find out I am traveling alone vary greatly. I've had some feel sorry for me. I've had some tell me that they admire my courage. I have had some tell me they're afraid for me. I've had some tell me they wish they could travel alone too. I think the reaction I got from a fellow passenger today was by far the most unique, but it was also the most profound. The gentleman sitting next to me on my first flight, when I told him I was vacationing alone said "You like yourself, that's good." 

I hadn't ever thought about it like that. When I tell people about my the road trip that I took last spring that quite frankly changed my life, I always tell people that you have to be willing to get to know yourself when you spend that much time alone. That trip involved many hours in the car and therefore many hours to think. I never really considered though, that traveling alone meant that I liked myself. In fact there are many times that statement isn't true. I don't always like myself, so I thought it interesting that the gentleman today equated my solo travel with my feelings about myself as a person. I'll have to give that one more thought this week.

I'm very bad at boundaries. I don't set many. I've made setting boundaries a priority for this two weeks. I leave my phone on silent. I've set my work e-mail to send an automated, out-of-office reply. I did not bring my laptop or my jump drives.  I am participating very limitedly in the facebook group for my team. I told my dad tonight I don't realize how badly I need a break until I finally take one. I finally took one and I needed it badly. My goal for the week, other than spending time in a city that I've never seen before, is to check out. This week is for me. This week is my chance to re-charge. 

I have a plan and some of those things are set in stone because the tickets are already purchased, but I have a lot of wiggle room as well. My hotel is across from the Delaware River. I've already spent an hour or so staring out at the water, watching the boats float by and I'm sure I will spend more time there. I need the peaceful, healing powers of water this week. I'm exactly where I should be and I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment