Sunday, June 23, 2013

Leavin' on a jet plane

My flight out of Philly left at 11:56 a.m. on Friday.  The last time I flew out of a northeast airport I flew out of La Guardia in New York City.  I arrived at that airport two and a half hours early and I still had to run to my gate.  I do everything I can to avoid running through airports, so when it came time to determine when I would leave for the Philadelphia airport I took my experience at LaGuardia into account.  I left my hotel in time that I would arrive at the airport close to three hours early.  As it turns out, that much time was not needed to get through security in Philadelphia and I made it to my gate at 9:45 which gave me plenty of time to read and relax in the gate area.

I love to fly.  I'm even one of those weirdos that enjoys airports.  It doesn't bother me one bit to sit in the airport and read for a few hours.

If I learned anything about myself last week it's that I need to work harder to take breaks.  Breaks from work, breaks from technology, just more breaks.  I love to read for pleasure and there's no reason I shouldn't be able to do that at home.  It shouldn't take traveling to allow me to pick up a book for pleasure.  This last week I read four novels for pleasure, it was wonderful to lose myself in the pages of a book.  I need to make it a goal to do that more often.  I got some excellent recommendations from friends of books that I should read and I picked up a selection of books from the Salvation Army last weekend that I'm looking forward to reading them very soon.  After last week I now want to look for books on the American Revolution, Ben Franklin, Thomas Jefferson or any other title that will let me learn more about our nation's history.  So much to learn...so little time!

Both flights were uneventful which is a good thing.  I landed in Tulsa earlier than expected and spent the evening eating my mom's lasagna and watching movies with my brother.  Saturday was my dad's birthday, so I stuck around to celebrate with lunch and cake.  I enjoyed spending time with my family.  I've been blessed to see all of my immediate family in the last week despite our busy schedules and the many directions life takes us.  I am blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment