Monday, April 22, 2013

Dirt Road Detour


Between mid August and early April I have replaced or repaired four tires on my car.  I'm sure if such a thing existed I'd be a gold star customer at Hibdon.  While two of my flats have happened in OKC because of things I've run over or hit, the other two are compliments of dirt road driving.

I have one school that I visit where the most direct route is a dirt road.  Since I've had such a hard time with tires I make sure to stay on paved roads when I visit this school.  Staying on paved roads means going eighteen miles out of the way and through the neighboring region, but it saves my tires.  Today I started my usual trek to this school, on paved roads, only to discover that the paved road has a bridge out and I had to take a detour...on the dirt roads I'd been so careful to avoid.

Like all GPS devices, my TomTom didn't like this change of events.  I always leave the sound off because it makes me nuts, but the screen did keep flashing a new route at me, wanting me to turn right and head back to the main road.  At one point it wanted me to turn right on a road it identified as Waverly.  I wish I would have taken a picture of Waverly, but I found a very close substitute on google images.


Yes, that's right, Waverly appeared to have been closed for quite some time.  I literally laughed out loud when I saw where TomTom wanted me to turn.  I haven't updated my GPS in a while, but it hasn't been THAT long!!  I ended up spending 25 miles on dirt roads today.  Only ten of those were truly out of the way, the other fifteen where just roads that ran parallel to my regular route.

Every day has the potential for adventure.  Today was no exception with 176 miles of driving.  Tomorrow I'm back on the road, hopefully all paved!

No comments:

Post a Comment