Friday, April 12, 2013

Back to Blogging

It's been four months, almost to the day since I last blogged.  I've thought over and over about getting back to it, then I get distracted or things would come up and I'd forget.  I want to get back to it though.  In the last two weeks I've had two major changes in my world.

First, I took on a roommate.  A friend that I used to teach with called me a few weeks ago to tell me that her nephew's fiance was looking for housing in Enid for six months (just until they get married) and wondered if it would be possible for me to rent her a room.  I agreed.  My new roommate is a very sweet young lady (I get to say that because she's 10 years younger than me!).  It's been a great fit...well I think so at least.  I'm not sure what she thinks.

I have a three bedroom house with 1 3/4 bath.  The bedroom with the 3/4 bath is the room that my roommate now has.  She's got her own space with her own bathroom and a walk in closet.

I wasn't sure how it would work for me to live with someone after I've been alone for as long as I have.  I asked my life group to say a prayer for me, that I could be a good roommate.  So far (although it's only been a week) I feel like things are going very well.  Again, my roommate may feel differently!

My second major change is in my eating habits.  For a variety of reasons, including an accountability agreement with my sister, I've drastically changed what I eat.  I'm working toward going totally paleo.  It's going to take lots of continued research and some willingness to branch out, but in just the little bit I've done in the last two weeks, I've felt so much better.  I didn't realize how bad I was feeling until I started feeling better, have you experienced that before?  I've also surprised myself with how easily I've been able to stick to this.  So far, I've not had any major cravings.  I've cheated but not because of cravings so much as convenience, or sheer choice.  Here's the new plan:

I am currently not eating any red meat, bread or pasta and I've given up carbonated drinks.  I am avoiding processed foods and trying to eat only those things without preservatives.  Right now that means I primarily eat fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables, Greek yogurt, chicken and fish.  I say that I'm trying because there are still days that I have processed foods, although not every day.  The goal of paleo, as I understand it, is to have a no preservative diet.  I'm choosing to eliminate red meat, bread and pasta in addition to that.  Like everything else, this is a journey.

I've battled issues with my weight for several years.  There are several reasons for that, some that I know, others that I may not know, but like anything else it's complex.  I've tried Weight Watchers before and been very successful when I stick to it.  I found out since taking this job however, that counting points when my meals are unpredictable or my travel schedule is nuts is too difficult.  Too difficult means I don't stick to it.  I've found in the last two weeks that paleo works well for me.  It's essentially a list of do's and don'ts.  Those rules I can follow no matter where I am.  It takes a lot of forethought and planning, but the rewards are definitely worth the work.

I didn't weigh myself before I started so I don't know what my loss was for the first week.  I did buy a scale last weekend though and am using it to chart my progress.  My "official" weigh in is tomorrow morning, but as of this morning I've lost five pounds this week.  I know that rate will slow, the longer I do this, but it's nice to see the number drop!  My clothes have even started fitting better....and it's only been two weeks!!  I've rekindled my passion for cooking and I'm trying foods and spices that I've not tried before.  I'm excited to keep this up and see where it goes.

It's just another journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment