Friday, June 22, 2012

Jehovah Jireh




The first time I remember hearing this name for God was one of my summers as an intern for Park Plaza Church of Christ in Tulsa, OK.  During the summers of 1999 and 2000 I was blessed to work for Maria Gee as the Children's Ministry Intern.  I learned so much from her about so many things.  I grew spiritually while trying to help children learn about the God that I serve.  I made friends for life and have memories to cherish always.  During a VBS lessons, or perhaps it was class or summer camp...I don't remember...Maria taught a lesson entitled Jehovah Jireh...the LORD will provide.

If your Bible is like mine it's a scrapbook in and of itself.  I've owned many Bibles in my lifetime, but there are two that I've used consistently.  I am blessed to have both of those in my home now.  The Bible I use most was given to me by my parents in 1995.  I keep it in a black, cloth case.  There are pockets in the case that hold treasures that I like to go back and look at every now and then.  There are remembrance fliers from family members' funerals, poems, sermon notes and Bible class handouts that date back as far as my time in middle school.  It's a time capsule of my spiritual walk.

One of the handouts in the the front pocket is a Names of God handout.  It clearly names Yahweh-Yireh, or Jehovah Jireh, as one of the names that I studied many years ago.  I don't remember studying it then, but I clearly remember it being a part of my internship experience.  I'd like to go back and study the names of God.  I think it's interesting and allows me to better understand Him.  Perhaps I'll find a book about it and add it to my newly established "Books to Read" journal.

Jehovah Jireh is the name that has stuck with me this week.  God has provided for me this week in a very substantial way.  If you've followed my facebook posts, or received my texts, you know that there have been some challenges with my new job.  My new job is dependent upon having a host district.  While the SDE is the organization that interviewed me and selected me for the position, my contract has to be written by a K-12 organization.  Welcome to federal funding initiatives in education!  My pay check and benefits have to be paid by a K-12 organization.  That means the SDE had to recruit a district in the Enid area to be the sponsor for my partner and I.  When I was initially offered the position I was told Chisholm Public Schools would be my sponsor.  Between that initial phone call and this past Tuesday, Chisholm changed their mind and several other districts also declined to participate in this program.  I don't know their reasoning.  There could be a number of reasons they declined to sponsor us, so I'll not speculate.

On Tuesday of this past week I received a message saying that a contract was still not in place and it was becoming a bleak situation.  I was hesitant to make the financial commitment of a lease without the contract in place so I postponed my Wednesday signing for a couple of days hoping that answers would be found by today.  I began fervently praying Tuesday night, prayed without ceasing on Wednesday, fasting most of Wednesday and Thursday to spend time in prayer about this situation.  Before Tuesday I had felt very peaceful and confident in my decisions surrounding this job.  I knew that God was opening doors for me and that my friends and prayer warriors were carrying me when I didn't have the faith or strength to take the steps on my own.  Thursday was my most challenging day.  I learned that morning that if a contract could not be secured I would be without a job and would be back to applying for postions.  I knew that if a solution was not found before my lease appointment on Friday that I would need to let the house go that I had worked so hard to find.  I cried, sat and stared and continued my prayers pleading with God to provide a sponsor and to bring me peace and tranquility in the midst of the storm.  When I laid down last night, early this morning really, my final prayer before drifting to sleep was a prayer for peace.

This morning God provided.  I woke with a peaceful heart and calm spirit.  Despite only sleeping about five hours I felt rested and clear-headed.  I knew upon waking that I could sign my lease without worry.  I knew that like He has all along, God would continue to open doors on this journey of mine.  On my way to Enid today I continued my prayers in the form of hymns.  I sang along with one of my worship CDs as I bolstered the courage to step out on faith.  During my drive I spoke with my partner who confirmed that we have a contract.  God provides!!  I will go Tuesday morning to sign the contract, so signing the lease today could still have been premature, however I was not alone.  I had Jehovah Jireh with me, calming my spirit and assuring me that He is in control.  My sister reminded me in my chaos on Wednesday that this is bigger than me and it takes the mighty Yahweh to control it.

Tonight I rejoice in the peace that I feel, the changes I'm making in my life and in the God that so generously provides.  I am a work in progress.  God is not finished with me yet.  I know that he will continue to be my Jehovah Jireh.

No comments:

Post a Comment